Flood Response 2001 – 2003
The state witnessed severe floods caused by unusually heavy rains in 2001 and 2003 affecting many districts of Odisha. The affected villages were cut up from main cities, the flooding damage to property, destruction of crops, and loss of livestock, deterioration of health conditions owing to waterborne diseases.
CYSD responded quickly to this critical situation by mobilizing 100 of volunteers and resources for relief and restoration activities. The following activities were immediately planned and implemented
- The disaster mitigation team promoted to join hands with the volunteers
- Volunteer deployment in affected areas for rescue, relief distribution and restoration
- Boat deployment to facilitate the rescue operation
- Community kitchen set up to provide cooked food to the flood victims
- Dry food items distributed
- Health, Veterinary care and Sanitation camps were organized
- CYSD and Odisha Disaster Mitigation Mission together brought out a flood bulletin for different stakeholders awareness.
- Restoring Normalcy (Grama Uddhar Abhiyan) was launched to create temporary employment opportunities for the affected people.